East China MI 48054
(Township Hall) Phone: 810-765-8879
Contact: East China Township Deputy Clerk
The Cemetery is surprisingly old and the first recorded burial was in 1818. Records before 1884 are obscure and indications are this burial ground was used before 1812. After East China Township was established in 1859 the Cemetery Board set rules concerning who should be buried there. In general, burial rights extended only to residents and those who had contributed to its upkeep but now lived in “West China Township.”
In 1882 an eighth of an acre of land was set aside for the burial of “strangers”, probably meaning non-residents. In 1884 the Cemetery was surveyed and cornerstones were placed to mark sections. In 1890 a well was dug. In 1896 a building was erected and seats were added five years later. The Cemetery was named Rose Hill in 1901. During the early 1900’s eight acres were purchased and a new fence was added. In 1951 $100 was appropriated to cover part of the cost of placing bronze markers of the graves of 32 American Veterans buried in the Cemetery and some of these are Civil War Veterans. Today there are over 300 Veterans buried in the Cemetery. Interesting material is on file concerning burials and an ongoing effort by employees has kept cemetery records up to date. A concerned effort has been made to pinpoint older grave sites. The material is on file and is often used by those searching out ancestors.
Find a Grave
Find A Grave is a free resource for finding the final resting places of famous folks, friends and family members.