| Red Brick School & Museum
696 Meisner Road
East China MI 48054
"Like" and Follow Us on Facebook
The Red Brick School holds an OPEN HOUSE on the SECOND SATURDAY of the month in June - October from 11am - 3pm. Commission members will be on hand to greet you and answer questions about this one-of-a-kind museum. Pictures, books, clothing and many artifacts are on display.
2022 dates: June 11th, July 9th, August 13th, September 10th, October 08th
The wooden students' and teacher's desks replicate furniture of early schools, some of which had dirt floors. The platform raised the teacher above the students' desks and also provided insulating space above the cold floor. A foot warmer, like the one beneath the desk, was often necessary. A recitation bench is at the front of the students' desks.
All blackboards are of slate with the exception of the large board on the west wall and the one on the east wall. These were discovered by the carpenter under wall paneling and are probably original to the building. They are of Michigan pine, milled one-inch thick and 24' to 26' wide. These painted boards were common in early schools.
The wood stove would have supplied the only heat for the building. Originally, there would not have been lights in the classroom. Many schools added windows on the east or south in order to provide sufficient light during fall and winter months.
The small room now used as an office was added after the main school was built. People in the area who remember attending this school report its being used as a library, a chat room for beginning readers, or a recitation room for older children.
There is a Michigan basement (not full height) under the main room. Heavy oak, hand-hewn beams support the floor. Some of the collection of material from one-room schools which joined the district were found in the basement. Included are hand written teachers' contracts dating from 1863, records of school board minutes from the late 1800s, census records, and the deed to the site of this school from an heir of Andrew Westbrook and recorded in 1868.